Post-9/11 GI Bill®

If you have at least 90 days of aggregate active duty service after Sept. 10, 2001, and are still on active duty, or if you are an honorably discharged Veteran or were discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days, you may be eligible for this VA-administered program.

Transfer of Post-9/11 GI Bill® to Spouse or Dependents

The transferability option under the Post-9/11 GI Bill® allows service members to transfer all or some unused benefits to their spouse or dependent children. The request to transfer unused benefits to eligible dependents must be completed while serving as an active member of the Armed Forces.  

Yellow Ribbon Program

Institutions of Higher Learning (Degree Granting Institutions) may elect to participate in the Yellow Ribbon Program to make additional funds available for your education program without an additional charge to your GI Bill® entitlement.

Montgomery GI Bill® (Chapter 30)

The MGIB-AD program—sometimes known as Chapter 30—provides education benefits to Veterans and service members who have at least two years of active duty.

Reserve Montgomery GI Bill®

MGIB-SR program provides education and training benefits to eligible members of the Selected Reserve, including the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, or Coast Guard Reserve, Army National Guard or Air National Guard. Eligibility for this program is determined by the Selected Reserve components and VA makes the payments.

Survivors and Dependents Assistance (Chapter 35 or Fry Scholarship)

The Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship (Fry Scholarship) is available for children and spouses of service members who died in the line of duty after September 10, 2001. 

The Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance (DEA) Program offers education and training  to eligible dependents of Veterans permanently and totally disabled due to a service-related condition or of Veterans who died while on active duty or as a result of a service-related condition.

Iowa National Guard Service Scholarship (INGSS)

The Iowa National Guard Service Scholarship (INGSS) is available to Iowa residents who are members of an Iowa Army or Air National Guard unit. This benefit pays tuition costs directly to the University of Iowa. It does not cover fees or summer courses. You must apply for FAFSA before applying for the INGSS.

Deadline:  July 1st for Fall Semester, December 1st for Spring Semester.

FedTA* (ArmyIgnitED)

Available to actively drilling National Guard or US Reserves members, FedTA pays for up to $250 per semester hour of coursework up to 16 semester hours per year. Limited to 130 total credit hours towards an undergraduate degree.

Please access the Step-by-Step Guide for assistance with submitting ArmyIgnitED. 

Deadline:  8 days prior to the start of class

*Other branches have a different name for the same funding source

Tutoring Fees

Tutorial assistance is available to help you pay for tutoring necessary to advance your education.

Tutoring fees are available for any student using federal GI Bill® benefits with half-time or greater credit load, up to $100 per month. Check with a campus Certifying Official for more information.

University of Iowa Benefits

U.S. Veterans and current members of the U.S. military may be eligible for the in-state tuition assessment. U.S. Veterans, current service members, and military spouses/children eligible to use GI Bill® education benefits are entitled to in-state tuition during the semester in which they are eligible to use said benefits. The in-state tuition policies apply to all educational levels. Students receiving in-state tuition must remain continuously enrolled to continue receiving the benefit. New and re-entering students must meet the policy criteria current at the time of admission or re-entry to be eligible to receive the in-state tuition benefit.