Number 1

Apply for your GI Benefits through the VA

Apply for the GI Bill® and other VA education benefits as a Veteran, service member, or qualified family member.  Once approved, the VA will send you a Certificate of Eligibility (COE). 

Number 2

Receive your Certificate of Eligibility (COE) from the VA

Once your GI Benefits application is received, reviewed, and approved by the VA, you will receive your Certificate of Eligibility (CEO).  

Number 3

Submit the Veteran Worksheet and your COE to the UI

Students wishing to use their GI Bill® benefits MUST complete the Online Veteran Worksheet every year. This worksheet authorizes the University of Iowa to certify enrollments with the VA and covers summer, fall, winter and spring.  The worksheet allows you to attach your COE. 

Number 4

IVETS Submits your COE to VA

After IVETS receives your COE and Veteran Worksheet, our staff submits your paper work to the VA, and your benefits will begin to get processed. You will receive an email from the VA when this process begins. 

Expect your benefits to be approved within 3-6 weeks.