Becoming a Hawkeye:

Guide for Military-Connected and Veteran Students

Students walking near a tree during campus tour

Step by Step

Take the first step to joining the Hawkeye family!

Application Process (Admission Requirements, Materials, & Deadlines) information can be found on the Admissions website.

Apply Today!

Your military experience may be worth college credit.

You can find links to official military transcripts for all services on the Admissions website.

Transcripts mailed by your military service should go directly to: 

Office of Admissions

108 Calvin Hall

Iowa City, IA 52242


Use the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA®) form to apply for financial aid for college or grad school.

Apply for Aid 

For more information visit the Office of Financial Aid website.

Please come to the Iowa Veteran Education, Transition, and Support (IVETS) office at 2706 UCC or email us at and let us help you determine which type of education benefit is right for you.

There are several varieties of GI Bill benefits. Your usage of one may take away eligibility for other programs.

Apply for your federal GI Bill education benefits online:

Applying for Benefits

Once you complete your application, the VA will issue you a Certificate of Eligibility (COE) that shows the educational benefits you are entitled to. You will need to deliver this to the IVETS office (paper copy, attach to Veteran Worksheet, or email to

Transfer students and returning students need only notify the IVETS office to reenroll in benefits.

Fill out the Veterans Worksheet to let us know that you are receiving benefits:

This sheet must be filled out once each calendar year in which you are a student to notify IVETS to ask the VA for your payment.