Find out to which education benefits you might be entitled, let IVETS know if you plan on using benefits for the semester, and more.


Learn more about the new processes with ArmyIgnitED. 

Person from legs down walking over sidewalk plaque

There are many benefits available for members of the Veteran and Military-Connected (VMC) community.

Navigating these benefits and deciding which ones apply to you can be frustrating, but we are here to help! We have dedicated staff trained simplify the process.

Certificate of Eligibility (COE)

A Certificate of Eligibility (COE) is a document the VA sends to the student verifying benefit eligibility. The COE must be on file so the billing department can confirm the availability of funds from the VA.  

How to Apply

Veteran Worksheet

All students wishing to use their GI Bill® benefits MUST complete the Veteran Worksheet every year. This worksheet authorizes the University of Iowa to certify enrollments with the VA and covers summer, fall, winter and spring sessions.

Online Veteran Worksheet

Resident Tuition for Veterans, Military Spouses, and Military Children

If you are a Veteran, a military spouse, or military child, please contact us to inquire about in-state tuition eligibility by emailing or calling (319) 335-3895.

Resident Classification Info

Becoming a Hawkeye

Transitioning from military life to campus life can be challenging.  To help in that effort, we have developed a transition guide that outlines the steps needed to get your benefits rolling.

Veteran Transition Guide

Scholarship and Financial Aid Assistance

Looking for resources to help you pay for your education? Check out our scholarship and financial aid guides. 

Scholarship Information

Federal & State Benefits

Federal Benefits

If you have at least 90 days of aggregate active duty service after Sept. 10, 2001, and are still on active duty, or if you are an honorably discharged Veteran or were discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days, you may be eligible for this VA-administered program. Purple Heart recipients, regardless of length of service, are qualified for Post-9/11 benefits at the 100% level. Certain members of the Reserves who lost education benefits when REAP was sunset in November 2015 may also be eligible to receive restored benefits under the Post-9/11 GI Bill®.

More Information

The transferability option under the Post-9/11 GI Bill® allows service members to transfer all or some unused benefits to their spouse or dependent children. The request to transfer unused benefits to eligible dependents must be completed while serving as an active member of the Armed Forces. The Department of Defense (DoD) determines whether or not you can transfer benefits to your family. Once the DoD approves benefits for transfer, the new beneficiaries apply for them through the VA.

More Information

The Post-9/11 GI Bill® will pay you:

  • all resident tuition & fees for a public school
  • the lower of the actual tuition & fees or the national maximum per academic year for a private school

Your actual tuition & fees costs may exceed these amounts if you are attending a private school or are attending a public school as a nonresident student.

Institutions of Higher Learning (Degree Granting Institutions) may elect to participate in the Yellow Ribbon Program to make additional funds available for your education program without an additional charge to your GI Bill® entitlement.

More Information

MGIB-SR program provides education and training benefits to eligible members of the Selected Reserve, including the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, or Coast Guard Reserve, Army National Guard or Air National Guard. Eligibility for this program is determined by the Selected Reserve components and VA makes the payments.

More Information

The MGIB-AD program—sometimes known as Chapter 30—provides education benefits to Veterans and service members who have at least two years of active duty.

More Information


There are two main programs offering education assistance to survivors and dependents of Veterans:

  • The Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship (Fry Scholarship) is available for children and spouses of service members who died in the line of duty after September 10, 2001. 
  • The Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance (DEA) Program offers education and training opportunities to eligible dependents of Veterans who are permanently and totally disabled due to a service-related condition or of Veterans who died while on active duty or as a result of a service-related condition.

More Information 

Tutorial assistance is available to help you pay for tutoring necessary to advance your education.

Tutoring fees are available for any student using federal GI Bill® benefits with half-time or greater credit load, up to $100 per month. Check with a campus Certifying Official for more information.

More Information


The Iowa National Guard Service Scholarship (INGSS) is available to Iowa residents who are members of an Iowa Army or Air National Guard unit. This benefit pays tuition costs directly to the University of Iowa. It does not cover feed or summer courses. Satisfactory completion of Guard Training and maintained satisfactory performance of Guard Duty required. 

You must apply for FAFSA before applying for the INGSS.

Deadline:  July 1st for Fall Semester, December 1st for Spring Semester.

more information

*Other branches of service have a different name for the same funding source

This benefit is available to actively drilling members of the Army National Guard or US Reserves who have served at least 12 months after graduation from IET and AIT. FedTA pays for up to $250 per semester hour of coursework up to 16 semester hours per year. This is limited to 130 total credit hours towards an undergraduate degree.

ArmyIgniteED is currently not functioning. Army University has created a manual process to authorize soldiers to go directly to their education institutions for enrollment using TA. Learn more by contacting your serving Education Center. Download a checklist on the blanket ETP Tuition Assistance for use with our office in the meanwhile. 

Deadline:  Start date of course

University of Iowa Benefits

IOWA Benefits

U.S. Veterans and current members of the U.S. military may be eligible for the in-state tuition assessment. U.S. Veterans, current service members, and military spouses/children eligible to use GI Bill® education benefits are entitled to in-state tuition during the semester in which they are eligible to use said benefits. The in-state tuition policies apply to all educational levels. Students receiving in-state tuition must remain continuously enrolled to continue receiving the benefit. New and re-entering students must meet the policy criteria current at the time of admission or re-entry to be eligible to receive the in-state tuition benefit.

More Information